August 22, 2018
Foreign-trade zone manufacturers are unexpectedly being assessed additional duties under Section 201 and 301 trade actions on products manufactured and substantially transformed in a U.S. FTZ. In response to this growing problem, the NAFTZ is pursuing all avenues to ensure the Office of U.S. Trade Representative corrects this unintended and unfair discriminatory treatment of U.S.-origin goods produced in FTZs. We have had meetings on the issue at CBP Headquarters, Senate Finance Committee, House Ways and Means Trade Subcommittee, and numerous individual Congressional offices. Companies affected by the 301 tariffs should attend the NAFTZ Annual Conference.
– The NAFTZ sent the following letter to FTZ Board Executive Secretary, Andrew McGilvray
– We developed a Power point presentation to help Members of Congress and Administration offices understand the severity of the situation
– NAFTZ testified at the hearing before the inter-agency Section 301 Committee chaired by USTR. We conveyed the need to immediately correct this problem.
– CALL TO ACTION: Tell us how your company is being impacted. Congressional offices and Administration officials have asked for specific examples.
– Monday’s 8 a.m. Opening Remarks and Welcome. NAFTZ President Erik Autor will give an overview of the trade remedies and their impact on FTZs.
– Tuesday’s 8:30 a.m. Advocacy Study Update. Laura Baughman, President of The Trade Partnership will share developments of the economic impact study. In addition, NAFTZ Public Affairs Advisor Brian Hannigan, NAFTZ President Erik Autor, and NAFTZ Chair Rebecca Williams will highlight NAFTZ’s advocacy efforts over the past year, including all actions and results related to the trade remedies.
– Tuesday’s 12:15 p.m. luncheon session on FTZs: In the News: Trade Cases, Current Affairs & Foreign Investment. Adrienne Braumiller, Braumiller Law Group PLLC, and Lewis Leibowitz, The Law Office of Lewis E. Leibowitz, will dive into the details of the trade remedies and how FTZs specifically have been impacted and how to leverage your zone in the face of increased protectionism and trade enforcement.
– Wednesday’s 10:05 a.m. Hot Topics. Attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions on trade remedies and learn more on 321.
There is no better place for FTZ professional development than NAFTZ’s Annual Conference. Connect with industry professionals, learn about trade remedies and how policy changes will impact you!