US Customs Classification Specialist
Satair | Ashburn, VA
About the Company
With more than USD 1.4 bn in revenue, Satair is a 100% wholly owned subsidiary of Airbus SAS and a world leader in sales and distribution of spare parts for aircraft maintenance. We integrate the entire aerospace value chain connecting both ends of the aerospace aftermarket.
Every day our 1,000 employees at 10 offices and locations around the world work hard to build and sustain supplier relationships and to support airlines and MROs in optimizing their spare parts management, maximizing their distribution networks and realizing their business potential. We are devoted to creating innovative and reliable solutions for our business partners, continuously lifting industry standards. What we do is so much more than distribution, support and service. We deliver excellence. We connect people and business partners all over the world.
You will get a challenging job in an innovative, growing, global company with a world-class service ambition. Our culture is non-bureaucratic, with a hands-on professional approach and always focused on how Satair can help our customers and suppliers become more competitive in the long term.
The Classification Specialist position will report directly in to the Head of Global Transportation with functional reporting to the designated Head of Global Import & Export Control. The position requires solid knowledge of U.S. Customs Regulations including HTSUS and ECCN classification and country of origin requirements in order to assist clients in determining the composition of products. Problem solver works in coordination with global team to facilitate clearance of goods through US Customs.
- Determine appropriate HTSUS and ECCN classifications for all company products.
- Work with Shipping Team to maintain procedures to monitor shipments against Export Licenses.
- Provide procedural guidance and assistance to personnel in resolving complex Import/Export issues.
- Assist with the collection and organization of documentation required to obtain Technical Assistance Agreements, Commodity Jurisdictions, Classification Requests, and other requests for approval to the Office of Defense Trade Controls, U.S. Dept. of State; the Bureau of Industry and Security, U.S. Department of Commerce, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control.
- Identify, investigate, and review compliance issues with any Import/Export activity and coordinate accordingly with the Head of Global Import & Export control and the Airbus Americas, Inc. Corporate Customs and Export & Trade Compliance departments.
- Provide analysis on international trade/customs issues to Head of Global Import & Export Control, and the Airbus Americas, Inc. Corporate Customs and Export & Trade Compliance departments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualified Experience / Skills / Training
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in U.S. import and export operations and compliance
- 4 Years of overall supply chain experience preferred
- Strong inter-personal attributes including excellent communication skills, high ethical standards as well as an understanding of the business implications of decisions
- Sound and accurate judgment including knowing when to include appropriate people in decision-making process. Intermediate to advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio. Advanced level of internet searching abilities
The employee is expected to adhere to all Company policies, procedures, and regulations.
Education/Special Qualifications: (Certifications, Licenses, Clearances required)
- High school diploma required, some college preferred
- Working knowledge of HTSUS classifications
- Working knowledge of Commodity Classification(s) (CCATS ECCN)
- Experience in Imports/Exports related to aerospace, aviation or avionics industry
- Experience in processing of customs entries (including Reconciliation), export applications
Unique position details
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or a “U.S. Person”. A U.S. Person is defined as a person who is a lawful permanent resident “Green Card holder” as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(20) or who is a “Protected Individual” as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)